Testosterone is a hormone from the androgen group that plays an important role in the development of male reproductive tissues. It also promotes sexual characteristics and maintains bone density, muscle mass and strength among men. As men ages, the level of testosterone will decline which can lead to several issues – erectile dysfunction, decreased sex drive, mood problems and memory problems among others.
One of the common issues faced by men suffering from testosterone deficiency is weight gain.
The good news is that testosterone deficiency can be treated and weight issues can likewise be addressed. Below are some weight loss tips you can employ in order to manage your weight.
- Consume vegetables and healthy fats. Vegetables are a good source of carbohydrates and healthy fats. Also, don’t be afraid to include saturated fats since you need at least 20 to 30 percent in your daily food intake every day. Therefore, eat lots of raw nuts, avocado, olive oil, grass-fed meats, coconuts and palm oil. You will need all the nutrients to help you build muscle.
- Limit sugar intake. Too much sugar can contribute to weight gain. While sugar cannot totally be eliminated, the key is to limit your intake below 25 grams a day. If you have condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure, 15 grams of sugar per day is advisable.
- Eliminate processed foods. Aside from being unhealthy, processed foods can contribute more to your weight gain and insulin resistance.
- Opt for organic dairy products. Studies suggest that branch chain amino acids (BCAA) help raise testosterone levels especially when combined with strength training. Cheese, whey protein and other dairy products are the best source of BCAA.
- Stock up on protein. Protein is rich in amino acids which is essential when suffering from testosterone deficiency. To get the necessary nutrients needed by the body, eat different protein foods everyday. However, go for lean meat such as loin products or turkey.
- Exercise. Losing weight will not be complete without exercising. In fact, exercise and healthy diet should go hand in hand in order to manage your weight. However, minimize cardio workout since it tends to slow down the production of hormones. Lifting weights and strength training is also advisable so perform squats or dead lifts as much as you can.
Aside from helping you lose weight, these tips will also help you boost your testosterone level. If none of these work, consult your physician for proper medication.
He has interest in Health and has been blogging genuinely on general health issues and problems especially on areas he has wide knowledge on since 2009. Feel free to contact him.
Latest posts by Francis (see all)